I was editing the other day and found I’d written this: She placed the end of the compression bandage over the wound and wound it around his leg.
At a quick glance I thought I’d repeated myself, until I read the whole sentence. It reminded me of this list I have showing how strange English is. I never thought I’d actually end up writing one myself 🙂
1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the Present.
8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.